Frequently Asked Questions

These Questions and Answers were developed to help provide answers to frequently asked questions.
If you have a question that is not answered here, please check one of the following:
Looking for an answer from the community write on the Message Board

Think something should be added to the FAQ page go to the Contact Us page
email the skswebmaster.
We will add to this, as appropriate.

  • chevron_rightWho can I call if I have a NON-Emergency Police, Fire, or Rescue issue?
    The Fairfax County non-emergency is 703-691-2131.
    Remember to use 911 only in a real emergency.
  • chevron_rightWhere do SKS residents pickup mail from US Postal Service?
    United States Postal Service
    7676 Richmond Hwy
    Alexandria, VA 22306
    Located in the Mount Vernon Plaza
  • chevron_rightWhat do I do if I lost my mailbox keys?
    Renters Contact your property manager and/or landlord.
    Homeowners Go to our local Post Office and they will guide you through the process of getting a new lock.
    United States Postal Service
    7676 Richmond Hwy
    Alexandria, VA 22306
    Located in the Mount Vernon Plaza
  • chevron_rightWho do I contact if I got Towed?
    If you have been towed by SKS HOA
    Call Dominion Towing at 703-339-2400
    Call Fairfax Police non-emergancy at 703-691-2131
  • chevron_rightWho should I call if I've lost Electricity?
    Call Dominion Virginia Power at 1-866-266-4357 to report the power outage!
    DVP will confirm whether it is just an issue with your house or one that is area wide.
  • chevron_rightWho should I call if I smell Gas?
    Call the Washington Gas Emergency Leak Line at 703-750-1400 or 1-800-752-7520
    If you smell natural gas, do not attempt to locate the source of the odor
    If the odor is very strong or you hear a blowing or hissing noise, vacate the building or area immediately, leaving doors unlocked as you go. Abandon all motorized equipment. Do nothing that could create an ignition source — do not light a match or use any type of phone or battery-powered equipment. Do not turn electrical equipment or light switches on or off. Do not start a car or any type of motorized equipment. Call 911 and the appropriate Washington Gas emergency numbers as noted above only after you have reached a safe distance away from the building or area.
    Follow the same precautions if you are outside and smell gas.
  • chevron_rightWho should I contact to report a light out?
    To report lights out you can contact Dominion Electric at 1-888-667-3000
    with the number from the pole
    If the light is in the SKS community you can contact our Community Manager
    Please make sure you have the pole number and/or the exact location of the pole.
    (example: The light is out on pole number XF88 near 6378 Chimney Wood Court.) 
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Homeowners Association (HoA)?
    The homeowners association is a non-profit corporation registered with the State and managed by a duly elected Board of Directors. Its purpose is to maintain all of the common areas within the community and to govern the community in accordance with the provision of the legal documents: Conditions and Restrictions (Covenants), Bylaws, and Articles of Incorporation. The primary goal of a homeowners association is the preservation of property value. It does this by enforcing its governing documents and ensuring that the all properties are attractive and consistent with each other and that the common area is well maintained. Without the enforcement of the community's governing documents, one home left unkempt, can lower the property value of the entire neighborhood. The corporation is financially supported by all members of the homeowners association.
  • chevron_rightWho should I contact about Association business and issues?
    Contact our Community Manager on our Contact Us page.
  • chevron_rightWho are the members of the Homeowners Association (HoA)?
    Membership in the homeowners association is both automatic and mandatory for anyone who owns property within South Kings Station. The members are obligated to adhere to the governing documents of the Community. Owners are also obligated to share in the financial operation of the community by paying their assessments on time.  Although owners do not have a legal obligation to actively participate in the association, the association will not be able to function if no one participates because the Board of Directors must all be owners.
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Board of Directors (BoD)?
    The Board of Directors is a volunteer position held by homeowners that want to make the community a better place for all resident that live in the SKS community.
    As with any corporation, the homeowners association must have a governing body that oversees its business. The Board of Directors is elected by the homeowners, or as otherwise specified in the bylaws. The duties and powers of the Board of Directors, including any limitation and restrictions, are outlined in the associations governing documents. Decisions affecting the homeowners association or its individual members are made by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Management Company?
    A management company is contracted by the Board of Directors to manage the daily operations of the Homeowners Association. The management company reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for implementing the decisions of the Board of Directors. The management company provides such services as: Collection of assessments, supervision of subcontractors, obtaining bids for subcontracted services, providing financial statements and collection reports, as well as a general clearing house for problem solving, communications with homeowners and the Board of Directors and serves in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors
  • chevron_rightWhat is expected of an Owner that serves on the Board of Directors?
    First and foremost is a commitment to the community and to conducting the business of the association in a professional and ethical manner. To be on the Board, an owner must be in good standing with the Association (i.e., assessments must be paid and there are no unresolved issues). The Board meets each month at least once (in person) and by email, depending on the volume of business that requires the Boards attention. If you are interested in serving on the Board, consider the time commitment and responsibilities before volunteering. Elections are held each year as part of the Annual Meeting. To run for the Board, please complete a Board Nomination form and submit it to GHA before the meeting.

  • chevron_rightAre Board Meetings open to all residents?
    Notice of the time and place of any regular board meeting is noted on the "Meeting Info" section of this site and mailed to the homeowner.
    To the extent permitted by the agenda and time available, each meeting provides an open forum for any owner to raise any issue for the Boards future consideration. To the extent that you may have an issue to raise for the Boards consideration, please consider providing the information in advance of the meeting so that the issue can be properly considered as an agenda item for that meeting. If that is not possible, the Board will document your issue for subsequent consideration and discussion, as appropriate.

  • chevron_rightHow can I find out what committees are active and how can I get involved?
    To join a committee, please notify our Community Management representative about your interest.